- Based at Service Headquarters, Clyst St George, Exeter.
- 37 hours per week – Flexible Working Applications considered
- Salary Grade 6 – £31346.00 (gross) per annum
- 1 x permanent contract & 1 x Fixed Term for up to 12 months (Maternity Leave Cover).
- Closing Date for applications is: 2359hrs on 20 September 2021.
- Please note – Safer Recruitment guidelines will be followed during this recruitment process.
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service is the largest non-metropolitan Fire & Rescue Service in England. Our vision is that together, we will work to end preventable fire and rescue emergencies, creating a safer world for you and your family. Keeping people safe is what we do, and we owe our fantastic reputation to our highly skilled and motivated workforce with over 2,000 staff.
A key part of this professional workforce is our Community Safety Prevention Team, and we currently have two Safeguarding Officer Vacancies available within our dedicated and committed team.
Please note that we have vacancies for a permanent post, and a fixed term contract for up to 12 months to cover maternity leave.
In a nutshell… in this role you will be the first point of contact for any concerns raised about a vulnerable member of the community and ensure Service policy is followed by all members of staff. You must also be committed to your personal development; maintaining your training and keeping your knowledge up to date to successfully fulfil this role.
We are looking for someone with extensive subject matter expertise who can provide advice to the wider organisation in relation to safeguarding and high risk individuals.
As a Safeguarding Officer you will have responsibility for:
- Referral case management, review and case closure, including attendance at multi-agency meetings.
- Ensuring compliance and develop and embed safeguarding in the Service in line with policy, guidance and best practice
- Providing Service wide leadership and knowledge in the area of safeguarding and high risk individuals.
- Representing and negotiating Service priorities at strategic partnerships, national and local partnerships and actively promote multi-agency working.
Key skills required for this role:
- Proven knowledge and the ability to interpret, applying best practice and working in accordance with local and national guidelines, policies/procedures and proven ability to research, analyse, and evaluate – always assuring quality.
- Experience of working in the Public or Third sector in a person centre role
- Experience of working with members of staff internally and externally to an organisation, at all levels, in both an advisory and negotiating / influencing role.
- Graduate level or professional qualification in a related field, or evidence of equivalent qualification or relevant experience; to effectively carry out the role this is likely to be at least 5 years relevant experience
- Completion of a local Safeguarding qualification – equivalent to the Devon Safeguarding Board
- Good working knowledge of relevant legislation and statutory guidance, including the Equality Act, Child Protection Practice, Health & Safety, Data Protection Act, DBS Checks, Human Rights Act, Working Together to Safeguard Children & Young People and No Secrets.
Please note: post holders are required to hold a full UK Driving Licence and will be willing to travel throughout the Service area with occasional overnight stays.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Anne Harrison (01392 872392, or email@example.com).
Please see below for the link to the Job Description and Person Specification, as well as the link to apply for this post. As part of your application you will be asked to provide the following:
- Upload of your CV which details FULL history since leaving school or employment and education, any voluntary work undertaken and any gaps in these dates will need to be identified and accompanied with an explanation.
- Evidence to cover each of the numbered criteria below, as this will provide the basis for shortlisting.
Criteria Evidence Required:
- Evidence of subject matter expertise, where advice has been provided to wider organisation in relation to safeguarding and high risk individuals
- Experience of case management, review and case closure.
- Evidence of developing and embedding Safeguarding in an organisation in line with relevant policies, guidance and best practice – ensuring that safeguarding is embedded into appropriate areas of the organisation.
- Evidence of representing and negotiating priorities on behalf of an organisation at strategic partnership, national and local partnerships and actively promoting multi-agency working.
- Demonstrable ability to work to tight timescales and ensure issues of concern are promptly and appropriately dealt with.
- Proven ability to respect and maintain confidentiality or information both in relation to verbal exchanges and paper/electronic storage of information.
- Experience of working with members of staff internally and externally to an organisation, at all levels in both an advisory and negotiating/influencing role.
- Experience of working in a person centre role.
Internal applicants please ensure your Line Managers are aware of your application, and would Line Managers please bring the contents of this advert to the attention of anyone who is eligible to apply who may be on a course/leave/absent/Working remotely.
- We are Proud to Help
- We are Honest
- We are Respectful
- We are Working Together
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service recognise and celebrate the vast diversity of the local communities that we serve, and aspire for this to be reflected within our workforce. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds, experience and beliefs, who share our values to consider working for us.