Raise a concern

What to do if you have a concern about a child, young person or adult; if you have a concern about an individual’s physical, sexual or emotional well-being, it is your responsibility to seek advice and support.

  • Tell the safeguarding lead of your organisation immediately with as much clear detail as you are able.
  • If there is an immediate risk of harm or an emergency situation, call 999 for the police immediately and then contact Social Services.

Managing allegations

What to do if a complaint of allegation about an adult or yourself is made, inside or outside your organisation if an allegation about you or another adult is made, it is your responsibility to refer this to the Safeguarding lead of your organisation immediately.

You can write notes on what you’ve been told, remember to include dates, times and full names of those involved there this information is given. do not investigate any allegations yourself.

Sacpa recommends

Sacpa recommends

  • Remain calm
  • Take all disclosures and allegations seriously
  • When listening, do not interrupt and do not ask leading questions
  • Do not promise confidentiality or secrecy
  • Treat everyone equally and with respect
  • Be aware of appropriate boundaries with young people and colleagues/peers
  • Be aware of the use of inappropriate language, both verbal and written.

Useful contact information

Guide to safeguarding

Sacpa produces a credit card-sized, mini guide to safeguarding for members. This guide can be personalised for any organisation. If you would like to order copies for you or your organisation, please click here.