Role: Youth Work Manager
Reports to: Mike Roe, CEO
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Brighton Youth Centre, central Brighton (on site)
Hours: 37.5 per week
Practical requirements: Flexible hours including weekends and evenings
Salary: £32000 – 35000
Job Purpose: Support and manage the Youth Work team to provide the Youth Work Programme including planning, face to face delivery, funding and safeguarding. Report and agree delivery plans with CEO. Ensure staff meetings, supervision and training take place and that recording, evaluation and reporting are in place.
We are looking for an efficient youth work leader; someone who is willing to get stuck in and join our warm and enthusiastic team. Importantly, we are looking for someone who can demonstrate they are passionate about wanting to support and work with young people along with sharing their expertise and knowledge alongside the CEO with the wider team.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties
1. Ensure the delivery and development of the Youth Work programme through supporting staff and direct delivery.
2. Develop and agree a delivery plan and budget with the staff team and young people and review the plan regularly.
3. Ensure that all delivery is recorded and evaluated in line with procedures.
4. Recruit, supervise and support volunteers and staff as required including team meetings.
5. Work with the Fundraiser and CEO to identify grants and funding needs and complete applications.
6. Ensure that reports are available as required by CEO and funders.
7. Ensure that all activities are properly risked assessed and follow BYC policy including safeguarding and equality and diversity
8. Ensure that budgets are agreed, expenditure and followed for specific areas of work.
9. Ensure that hours worked are recorded in liaison with the operations manage
10. To undertake training and attend supervision, staff meetings and external meetings.
11. Any other duties which are in line with the grade and general level of responsibility of the post.
Qualifications and Experience
· Level 3 JNC qualified or relevant youth work qualification and experience.
· Experience of working with young people in youth work settings.
· Experience of developing Youth Work programmes
· Experience of managing staff teams.
Skills and Abilities
· Excellent communication skills, with the ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with staff, volunteers, partner organisations and young people.
· Good organisational, planning, writing, budgeting and administration skills.
· Understanding and experience of monitoring and evaluation in a youth work setting.
· Politically and creatively aware with a good understanding of Youth Work principals.
· Able to challenge, support and reflect appropriately and effectively.
· Ability to prioritise effectively and enjoy multi-tasking in a busy environment
· A clear understanding of the safeguarding young people and how to maintain appropriate professional boundaries in a Youth Work setting.
· A good understanding of equality and diversity issues with the ability to challenge discriminatory behaviour.
Please see job pack for full details. https://www.brightonyouthcentre.org.uk/jobs/
How to apply:
Please send a thorough cover letter addressing all aspects of the Job Description along with your CV to email@example.com
Closing Date & Time: The application deadline is 9 am on Monday, 19th February 2024.
Interviews: Thursday, 22nd February 2024, we anticipate from 3 pm – 7 pm. This is to ensure young people are involved in the process. There will be up to 2 hours of interviewing with an in-person panel interview (45 mins), a written test and meeting a young person involved with BYC. Please let us know when you submit your application if you have any issues with the interview date and time.
You should find the necessary information in this pack and on our website –
Brighton Youth Centre, where you will discover more about who we are and what we do. However, if you want an informal discussion before applying, please call the office on 01273 681368.
We look forward to receiving your application.