Senior Intelligence Analyst
Devon, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards are looking to recruit a Senior Intelligence Analyst to join our Intelligence Unit
Jointly commissioned by Local Authorities, Devon, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards Service is one of the largest in the UK, operating an intelligence led and innovative approach to regulation and service delivery.
The successful candidate will be joining the Service at an exciting time as we continue to improve and expand. The Service covers a wide range of regulated activities essential to the economy and public safety in the heart of the South West and to better support the growing delivery of this Service we are introducing a new trading standards reporting database this year.
Our service area covers 2 coastlines, Dartmoor & Exmoor National Parks and multiple areas of outstanding natural beauty. We also cover the cathedral city of Exeter, county town of Taunton and the ‘English Riviera’ in Torbay.
As an intelligence-led Service working under the National Trading Standards Intelligence Operating Model (similar to the police National Intelligence Model), we are dedicated to supporting businesses and disrupting and prosecuting serious criminality across all areas of trading standards legislation. We utilise consumer protection legislation, RIPA(IPA), the Fraud Act and the Proceeds of Crime Act when appropriate.
We are seeking a Senior Intelligence Analyst to undertake, supervise and promote the research and analysis of intelligence, complaints and business enquiries coming into our Service. We need an individual who will take an innovative approach to service delivery and who is progressive and committed to continuous improvement.
You will need to have high degree of integrity and be able to demonstrate accountability, with knowledge of relevant data handling and disclosure legislation and be willing to undergo additional NPPV2 vetting.
Good communication skills are required to liaise with staff across the Service, to access a wide range of data sources, collate information, analyse and present your findings in the most accessible and effective way.
Based in the Intelligence and Investigation Team, the Intelligence Unit also includes a Senior Intelligence Officer, an experienced Intelligence Officer and an Intelligence Researcher. The team is responsible for a range of intelligence database functions, supports investigations and responds to a wide range of reporting requests.
The role includes:
- Delivering high quality intelligence and evidential products that support the identification, assessment and mitigation of harm and risk to Consumers and Businesses in our area (including problem profiles, subject profiles, I2 Charts and mapping).
- Maintaining and developing a weekly complaints and business enquiries scanning process
- Preparing the monthly tactical assessments and the yearly strategic assessment for the Trading Standards Leadership team and work closely with the business analyst in reporting performance and outcomes.
- Help set the priorities of the Service by delivering an annual Control Strategy using the Management of Risk in Law Enforcement (MoRiLE) model.
- Working with the Senior Intelligence Officer to access and develop intelligence received from our external regulatory, enforcement and police partners
- Working with the new database implementation team to optimise methods of data input and retrieval and finding innovative ways to maximise effective reporting output using PowerBI.
There is an expectation that you can manage and analyse complex data with a high degree of competency and that you are confident developing inferences and reporting summary statistics, using standard Microsoft products like Excel and PowerPoint (to produce pivot tables, charts and presentations).
In addition, it is highly desirable (though not essential) that you are proficient in the use of Power BI or are committed to the development of these relevant competencies as a priority.
Knowledge and experience of trading standards and local authority (including the Civica APP system) work is desirable but not essential. As a Service we are committed to ongoing Officer training and development and you will be able to benefit from this support.
We cover a large geographical area and some travel across this area is to be expected. Whilst the post is advertised as being based at County Hall, Exeter this is negotiable, we have other Offices across the area. We offer flexible working policies subject to Service need.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This role requires a DBS disclosure.
This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
Reference ID: REC/21/00526
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £32,910.00-£36,922.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitisation, disinfection or cleaning procedures in place